In its early history, Richfield, had little or no fire protection, but rather depended on the old bucket brigade by who would answer the call when the fire bell was sounded. They would dam the ditch and form a bucket line and try to control the fire. Unfortunately the structure was generally a total loss.
Later on, the city purchased a hose reel cart and installed a few hydrants and water lines.
This cart was drawn by man power to the fire.
On Feb. 1, 1924 the first gasoline powered truck was purchased. The department made a chemical fire truck out of it, replacing the old hose cart.
Richfield’s population was increasing. Many new homes and businesses were being built making additional equipment and manpower necessary to provide maximum fire protection at all times. This was brought out at the time the fire at Will's Tire Shop on North Main Street occurred in 1954. The new truck had seven lines feeding from it and all other equipment was pressed into service to keep the fire from wiping out the entire block.
In 1938 the Richfield Fire Department joined the Utah State Firefighters’ Association, and has been a member since. The realization of our department is that our job is to prevent fires as well as put them out. To do this, good equipment and knowledge of its operation to do a good job has been essential. The members of the department have spent thousands of hours over the years in training, on their own time, to keep up with the new ideas that are introduced in firefighting, and lifesaving.
As the city grew, the demand for better methods of fire control increased. After a serious fire on Main Street destroyed five businesses, more hydrants and water lines were installed. The need for better equipment and a more permanent organization was demonstrated time after time.
About 1944 the local fire department signed a ten-year contract with Sevier County agreeing to fight county fires. For this purpose, the city and county purchased a 500 gallon Dodge fire truck with the understanding that it would be housed in Richfield and manned by the Richfield Volunteer Fire Department. At that time there were 10 members.
In 1950, Richfield City purchased a 750 gallon pumper truck. This addition was greatly needed for the city's protection for those times when the Dodge truck was out of the city on county fires.
The old fire station on South Main completed in 1962 was a real step forward in progress. It was replaced by the fire station at 77 East 100 North in February 2013 and looks into the future as well as present needs.